Get the best performance from your mobile device
Could you imagine life without your smartphone? Especially through a global pandemic, your smartphone helps you keep you in touch with friends and family when you can’t see them in person. And it offers plenty of entertainment to keep you occupied. It might even be the first thing you reach for when you wake up.
As people and businesses become more and more reliant on mobile devices, it’s important to find ways to keep mobile devices healthy and functioning. To make sure your device stays in tip-top shape, use these three methods to keep your mobile device clean, secure, and nimble.
Regularly disinfect your device
Given today’s pandemic, the world has taken extra precaution when it comes to our health. You constantly wash your hands. You wear gloves and masks to the grocery store. You disinfect any surface that might be unclean. But there’s one surface you might have overlooked: your mobile device.
To keep your device clean and free of contaminants, simply use a Clorox wipe or an alcohol-based solution to clean your device. Avoid using household chemicals like bleach and pure rubbing alcohol to clean your phone screen. These chemicals can strip away the coating that prevents oil and water from damaging your display. The best solution you can use to disinfect your device contains 70% isopropyl alcohol.
Key takeaway: Make it a daily practice to clean your mobile device at the end of each day with a Clorox wipe or alcohol-based solution.
Protect your data
As technology evolves, cyber criminals are becoming more clever in how they steal information. For instance, one of the biggest mobile threats of 2020 is network spoofing. This is where a hacker sets up what appears to be a harmless access point, such as a WiFi signal. The user will be asked to create an account using an email address and a password, which the hacker can then use to access any online account using the same credentials.
Key takeaway: Protect your data when using a public access point, and use a password you’ve never used before when creating a login.
Keep your device running fast
Keeping your mobile device running at peak performance might be easier than you think. There’s plenty of ways to keep your mobile device running smoothly that don’t require any advanced technical skills. Here are just a few simple ways to keep your device running fast:
- Keep your device software up to date. Mobile software like iOS and Android receive regular updates to fix bugs and other errors within their programs. You can check if your device has new software in the device settings.
- Uninstall apps you don’t use. A 2017 study found that the average smartphone user has 80 apps installed on their phone, but only use roughly 40 on a monthly basis. These unused apps are just taking up space on your device’s memory, and must be loaded every time you turn on your device. This means the more apps on your device, the longer it will take to restart.
- Clean up your storage. Now that you’ve removed all the unused apps from your device, it’s time to clean up the rest of your device storage. Odds are you probably have photos or other files stored on your device that could be removed or backed up in cloud-based storage.
Key takeaway: To keep your device running like new, update the programs you always use, and remove apps and files you don’t use.
Bonus: Recommendations for Service Pro mobile users
Regardless of which type of mobile device you use to run Service Pro, follow these daily and weekly practices to keep Service Pro working as efficiently as you do.
- At the beginning of your work day: When you first launch Service Pro on your mobile device, perform a manual sync upon logging in. Allow the sync to complete before beginning work.
- After finishing a task: As you finish jobs, close out the appointments. Limiting the number of present appointments will allow the software to perform better.
- At the end of your work day: When you end the work day and it’s time to go home, be sure to log out of Service Pro. This is a security precaution, but also improves performance.
- At the end of the work week: On a weekly basis, check that both your operating system is up to date, and that you are using the latest version of Service Pro.